In today's Catholic Daily Roundup, top stories include the Mayor of NYC, the chair of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee is appointed, and some calling for the stop in the execution of a Texas inmate.
"Help one another. This is what Jesus teaches us. This is what I do. And I do it with my heart." --Pope Francis
Today's Reading: "Justice shall be the band around his waist, and faithfulness a belt upon his hips." (Isaiah 11:1-10)
In the News:
- New York mayor, Bill DeBlasio, plans to significantly expand public health services at every step of the criminal justice process.
- Senator Jon Tester of Montana was named the next chair of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee on Thursday.
- Conservative leaders are calling on Governor Rick Perry to stop the execution of inmate Scott Panetti who is "one of the most seriously mentally ill prisoners on death row" because it would "undermine the public's faith in a fair and moral justice system."
Pope Francis and church news:
- Believe it or not, there is still more to learn about Pope Francis. Authors Austen Ivereigh, Elisabetta Pique, and Paul Vallely offer three very different and interesting portrayals of his life in their books.
- Many argue that Climate Change is the Catholic church's number one pro-life issue and therefore the church should "become a major player in educating the public to the scientific data and in motivating people to act for change."
- Religious leaders have vowed to eradicate human trafficking around the world by 2020, calling it a "crime against humanity."
CACG would like to equip lay Catholics with the resources necessary to promote the common good in their communities. That's why we have the Catholic daily roundup. You can sign up for this short and digestible daily e-mail here.
We always appreciate your support. Invest in us today so we can continue to spread the social mission of our Church through 2014-2015.